Geospatial Creative Commons

Home Forums Teaching & Learning Geospatial Creative Commons

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Adam Dastrup
    Participant

I am currently part of a national consortium of seven community colleges funded by the Department of Labor to create a series of geospatial technology courses licensed as Creative Commons. The two geospatial leads for the grant are Del Mar College and Salt Lake Community College (me). Del Mar is creating five core geospatial courses modeled after the Dept. of Labor’s Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM). They include: Into to Geospatial Technology, Spatial Analysis, Cartography, Remote Sensing, and Data Acquisition & Management  The model course outlines can be found at the National GeoTech Center. SLCC’s contribution will be: Intro to Geographic Science, Statistics for GIS, Web GIS, Open Source GIS, Python for GIS, and Geolocations for iOS. The majority of these courses will focus on using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, and Multspec. The Open Source source is yet to be determined. All of these courses will be licensed as Creative Commons and will include lecture, assessments, and lab assignments. All of this information will be published to the Internet by this summer and will be to use. I will definitely let everyone know when this service will be available to you.

This whole process of curriculum development has really got me thinking about Creative Commons curriculum for geospatial technology. How many of you either are creating Creative Commons material or would use this form of material? The goal for Del Mar and SLCC is that these courses be based on a national standard like the GTCM. That way, as material is being updated, it is updated to meet industry standards and trends.

What other resources are you aware of that would be considered “open” or Creative Commons?

jjnelson
    Participant

Adam nice write up. Hats off to the NISGTC staff and the GST SMEs involved in the development of this series of terrific GST curriculum. The fact that each course is based on the Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM); a national standards developed by GeoTech (NGTC) and the DOL, is powerful. “Always Keeping it Geospatial” J2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.